|The City of West Jordan has several recycling programs including seasonal green waste pickup; curbside paper, plastic and metal collection; glass recycling drop off sites; and paper and electronic shred events are held four times per year. These programs help keep recyclables out of the landfill. The City partners with Ace Disposal, Tams Electronic Recycling, Rocky Mountain Recycling and Batteries Plus Bulbs to bring these recycling programs to you. |
Recycling Dos and Don'ts Video
Green waste collection runs from April through November. Click here for details.
Solid Waste Services Brochure
Paper Shredding and E-Waste Recycling
West Jordan residents can bring up to two “bankers boxes” of paper for shredding and residential electronic waste four times per year during the city's recycling events. Documents will be shredded on site in the west parking lot behind City Hall, 8000 S. Redwood Road. Hard drives can also be shredded if they have been removed from the computer. Unfortunately, televisions, CRT monitors, cracked LCD’s and printers are not accepted. However, TransJordan Landfill may allow some of those items to be deposited by our residents. Please contact Trans Jordan Landfill for more information at 801-569-8994.
Batteries Plus Bulbs will also be on hand to recycle batteries. They will accept all types of rechargeable batteries including car and motorcycle batteries, sealed lead acid batteries, NiCD, NiMH, and Li-ion batteries. Additionally, they will accept limited quantities of non-rechargeable batteries including up to 10 pounds of alkaline and up to 1 pound of lithium battery cells. They are unable to accept commercial recycling and hybrid/electric vehicle batteries such as Liquid NiCD or Liquid NiMH.
Please bring proof of residency or city employment (driver’s license, utility bill or city ID badge). Two glass recycling drop off bins are also available: one is in the parking lot of the old library, 1970 West 7800 South, and at the intersection of 7800 South and New Sycamore Drive (7025 West).
Paper Shredding and E-Waste Recycling Dates
|November 5, 2016 ||10 a.m.-noon ||City Hall Parking Lot, 8000 South Redwood Road |
|February 4, 2017 ||10 a.m.-noon ||City Hall Parking Lot, 8000 South Redwood Road |
|May 6, 2017 ||10 a.m.-noon ||City Hall Parking Lot, 8000 South Redwood Road |
|August 5, 2017 ||10 a.m.-noon ||City Hall Parking Lot, 8000 South Redwood Road |
|November 4, 2017 ||10 a.m.-noon ||City Hall Parking Lot, 8000 South Redwood Road |
Two Glass Recycling Collection Sites
Paper, Plastic and Metal Curbside Collection Guidelines
|The city has two collection sites where residents can drop off glass for recycling. (This is NOT a curbside collection program.) |
The drop-off sites are located at:
1. Behind the old library at 7800 South 1970 West
2. Intersection of 7800 South and New Sycamore Drive (7025 West)
The bins are for all colors of glass, but NO garbage, porcelain, ceramic, plate glass windows, light bulbs, florescent light bulbs or cardboard. The program will be discontinued if it is abused.
1. Use only the City furnished blue recycling containers.
2. Recyclables must fall freely from the container, with the lid closing completely.
3. Place ONLY authorized recyclables in the blue recycling container. (Cardboard, newspaper, pasteboard with liners removed, magazines, #1 - #7 plastic containers, steel and aluminum cans, clean aluminum foil, etc.)
4. Crush all plastic containers flat before placing in the recycling container.
5. Cardboard must be no larger than 2 feet long by 2 feet wide. Cut the cardboard to this size. Don't just fold it. ACE Recyclables Info
6. Place your garbage and blue recycling containers at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
7. Containers must be removed from the street by the end of your collection day.
8. Containers should be placed at least 4 feet away from other containers and at least 5 feet away from parked vehicles and mailboxes.
9. Wheels against curb or 2 feet from the blacktop.
10.Avoid setting containers underneath low hanging tree branches.
Mixed office paper
Cardboard (flatten or cut)
Cereal & food boxes/cartons (remove plastic liner
Gift, shoe & tissue boxes
Juice & Sports Drinks
Milk & Soda Pop Jugs
Water Jugs & Bottles
| ||Metals |
Clean Aluminum Foil
|Plastic Bags (Grocery, newspaper, bread or sandwich) |
Plastic Film (plastic sheets, tarps or wrap)
China or Ceramics
Glass (any kind)
Light Bulbs or Tubes
Dirty Paper Plates & Cups
Printer & Toner Cartridges
| ||Carpet & Carpet Pad |
Clothing or Shoes
Grass & Yard Waste
Food & Liquid Waste
Additional Containers or Repairs
Call Utility Billing at 801-569-5020.
Call at least two working days before an additional container is needed. An additional service fee will be charged for each additional garbage container. Each container must be used a minimum of six months.
Call 801-569-5730 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Salt Lake County Health Department
Trans Jordan Landfill
Salt Lake Valley Recycling Guide